Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Baby Salsa

Have you ever wondered what newborn salsa looks like?  lol.  Probably something like this...


This is actually 11 newly germinated 'Rutgers' tomato plants.  After some extensive research online as to the best variety of tomato for home canning, I found that 'Rutgers' appeared on virtually every list.  And it was the only one that had such universal popularity.  So, although I rarely try to be with the 'in crowd', I'm going with the popular tomato as over 25 canners can't all be wrong.  Right?

And for the sake of full disclosure, I really did say that "no one needs ten tomato plants" back in August.  At the time, I believed it with all my heart.  That was before I tasted homemade catsup.  Now, I'm addicted.  The only way to have homemade catsup without a (expensive) visit to the farmer's market is to have about ten tomato plants in full production.  So, I'm eating my words.  With catsup on them. 

No comments: