Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Hugs and Kisses

I've been working on this quilt for a few months.  It hasn't really taken all that long to sew, but it took some doing to find just the right border and binding fabric.


The lovely prints are 'Hugs and Kisses' from Moda.  I was able to snatch up a layer cake at the February sale at Quilts, Etc.  I also grabbed a 'Twister' ruler from CS Designs.  I really like the technique.  First, I sewed most all the squares from the layer cake together and added the pale pink first border.


Lots of pressing to make the whole piece smooth!  Then the scary next step...


I had to cut into the squares I has just sewed together!  Don't know why it was so daunting, but I really did have to take a couple of deep breaths before the first cut.  I sewed each row together as I cut it from the big section.  It was so much fun watching the pinwheels appear.  The ruler is really well made and even included non-slip feet to make the job easier.

The finished quilt is just about 60 inches square.  A nice size for snuggling under on the sofa, but a little too big to be comfortably quilted on my regular sewing machine.  I managed it, but had to resort to some 'bad sewing words'.  lol.

One of my next projects will be trying out the new 'L'il Twister' ruler that I bought at the fall festival at Quilts, Etc.  Carin and I had thought a tiny version of this quilt would be awesome and lo, and behold, now there's a ruler for that!

2 comments:

bunchocoffeys said...

That IS a scary thought having to cut into it. But it did turn out very cute!

Morgans said...

It turned out so cute! I still think you need to do a Halloween and/or Christmas one with the tiny ruler.