Friday, October 28, 2011

Pumpkin Patch 2011


Our pumpkin crop this year is pretty darn good.  We have 36 pumpkins of two varieties...'Rouge Vif d'Etampes' and 'Sugar Pie'.  Both varieties produced pumpkins of pretty good size; no giants, thank goodness.  As you can see, a few have yet to ripen.  We actually composted quite a few smaller pumpkins that have no chance of ripening.

Next year, I need to start cutting the new pumpkins off in September.  We also need to figure out a way to give the pumpkins more space.  Some of these vines were over 15 feet long.  They wove their way through the pepper patch and the tomato patch and up into the compost.  I would also like to try the white 'Lumina' pumpkins again.

We're looking not only for attractive pumpkins for decorating, but, of course, really great eating quality.  So far, the 'Rouge Vif d'Etampes' is the best by far for eating, but I'm open to trying others if anyone has a great recommendation!

1 comment:

bunchocoffeys said...

I've never seen pumpkins so red! Those are cool. And call me crazy, but I like the big green one, too. :)