Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Scottish Prisoner


I've finished my first book of the year (see Goals blogpost.)  The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon is a story from the Lord John Grey series that is a companion to the Outlander series.  I absolutely love the stories of Jamie Fraser and Clair Beauchamp from the Outlander stories, but up until now hadn't read any of the stories from the companion series.  There could, however, be only one 'Scottish Prisoner' so I knew that this story would feature Jamie himself.

My favorite motif from the Outlander series is the relationship between Jamie and Claire.  Alas, apart from a few of Jamie's fantasies and dreams, Claire makes no appearance in this story.  However, Jamie is prominent in the story, so it was worth reading to learn more about his time apart from Claire.

The Jacobite cause is also featured prominently here, and as with all things Jacobite, the plot is very convoluted.  There were several passages that I had to re-read to make sure I understood who was involved.  It was rather like untying a very complex Celtic knot.  Satisfying when finished, but a bit frustrating during the process.

Not surprisingly, the best part of the book was the excerpt from Written in My Own Heart’s Blood, the next novel in the Outlander series.  *sighs*  It should be available in 2013.

No comments: